Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti (Binti, #1)Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Finished Reading: August 9, 2018
Format: Book
Favorite Quote(s):
"However, just because something isn’t surprising doesn’t mean it’s easy to deal with."
"But deep down inside me, I wanted . . . I needed it. I couldn’t help but act on it. The urge was so strong that it was mathematical."
Review:
While I loved that the main character was Himba and that math was the tool her people used to create technology, I struggled with the writing at the beginning. I felt like things happened in the story and then they were explained, which is difficult to read because I had imagined what I thought was happening just to have the pictures changed by the explanation. Later in the story I had a pretty good grasp of what to imagine and didn't feel like this was such an issue anymore. I really liked the role of the otjize in the story, but had difficulty understanding the technology and it's use. Though it was a quick story, I had difficulty with the quick progression of (view spoiler) that occurred in such a short time. Overall, I liked the story, but haven't decided if I will read the sequels. It should be noted that I'm not much a sci-fi fan, and that could be part of my difficulty with the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds My Rating: 5 of 5 stars Finished Reading:  September 5, 2018 Format:  Book Favorite Quote(s): "Y...